Monday, June 16, 2008

Mixtapes and Crazy Weekends...


Well, I had plans, I had dreams... but keeping up a blog is a long process. So quick catch up... I had a crazy weekend... interesting how one or two things can throw a brother off.. but Its all about the pressing forward, yeah?

So, I decided to shift gears from producing as I finished my CD for RickyRicardo and I'm creatively spent. I need to recalibrate and shift focus. To the world of mixtapes..

Luckily there is A LOT of great music out now and I spent some time this weekend and during work downloading in mind of my new project. I remember back in the day, when tapes were king. My uncle sending my parents, sis, and me tapes of all the popular songs while we were in Germany... back in the 80's there were no populist internet things going on and American pop culture was hard to come by, so things had to be sent to us. Grandma used to send us movies she bootlegged, uncle used to send us mixtapes. So at an early age, we were gully like that.

I remember the fun I had when it came time to making my own mixtapes... there were so many a girl I used to make tapes for... in order to impress, swoon, and what not. I remember making jungle mixtapes for my friends. As I wasn't a DJ, I would take mixes from 'real' DJ's and put them together in such a way that it would flow. I remember looking for pauses, rewinds, a snare, to match the next track.. I was quite good and it held my crew up for a while. I sorta stopped as CD's came into play and my splicing skills didn't count anymore. Some of my friends recall some of the tapes I used to make, even today...

In light of my own personal experience, I went online to find a history lesson on the mixtape. Interestingly, I really didn't find one except from MTV. Obviously they focus more on the hip-hop mixtape, which is quite limiting as mixtapes ahve been around for a long time. But, regardless, it represents where my head and generational context is grounded...

So whats in store.. who knows!! Big ideas in my brain, so keep up with later posts, I plan to have them for your downloading pleasure.

No comments: