Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Presenting the "Hip Hop Pantheon Mixtape"

Hip Hop, as with many of us in this era, was my first musical love, the soundtrack to my upbringing. Just as Rock, Jazz, Blues, etc, for other generations... this music spoke to me and provided the range of emotions, topics, and expressions that shaped my consciousness. From production, to techniques, to flows... all of it resides and thrives in my system like no other. So here are 32 of the tracks that shaped me the most.. while not exhaustive, this is pretty damn close. I hope memories come through for you when experimentation, grit, identity, dance, and soul met somewhere in 1983 and took us to a great journey. As I keep mentioning, I am no DJ.. .these mixes are more curated works rather than some musical journey.. only the ill.selection mixes are true mixes...

peace


Here We Go (Live At The Funhouse) - RUN-DMC
My Melody - Eric B. & Rakim
I Need A Beat - LL Cool J
Marley Marl Scratch - Mc Shan
Poetry - Boogie Down Productions
Raw - Big Daddy Kane
Goin Off - Biz Markie
Top Billin' - Audio Two
Human Beat Box - Fat Boys
It's Yours - T La Rock
Stop Smoking That Shit - KMD
Breakdance Electric Boogie - West Street Mob
I'm Housin Things - Ultramagnetic MCs
Public Enemy No.1 - Public Enemy
Take It Easy - Mad Lion
Machine Gun Funk - The Notorious B.I.G.
Electric Relaxation - A Tribe Called Quest
Above the clouds - Gang Starr
Tried By 12 - East Flatbush Project
The Very First Time - Poor Righteous Teachers
Dog It - Digable Planets
Strobelite Honey - Black Sheep
Freaks Of The Industry - Digital Underground
Ice Cream - Raekwon
Runnin' – The Pharcyde
Reminise TROY - Pete Rock and CL Smooth
Glass Bottom Boat - Siah & Yeshua dapoED
Astro Black - Quasimoto
2000 Seasons - Talib kweli
Alphabet Aerobics - Blackalicious
It Ain;t Hard to Tell - Nas
Dead Bent - MF DOOM

No comments: